Malin Beg (Silver strand) beach
by Elena T.
Malin Beg - Discovering a Hidden Gem on the Wild Atlantic Way
When it comes to exploring the beauty of Ireland, the Wild Atlantic Way offers a plethora of hidden gems that are just waiting to be discovered. One of the most stunning places on this route is Malin Beg, also known as Silver Strand. Located in Donegal, this hidden gem is a beach with one of the most incredible views in Ireland.
As you arrive at the car park, you will not see the beach immediately. It is hidden between the rocks, but that makes it all the more special. The beach is accessible via a staircase with about 170 steps. However, every step is worth the effort as the stunning view unfolds as you make your way down. Once you reach the bottom, you will be greeted by an amazingly beautiful sandy beach.
The beach is relatively small, but the formations of nature here are mesmerizing. It's the perfect spot to spend some time just enjoying the sound of the sea, walking along the sand, and taking in the incredible views. The beach is usually quiet, and despite the wind up on the rocks, it is often pleasant on the sand.
In the nearby cliff, there is a lovely waterfall that adds to the beauty of this hidden gem. Take a walk along the beach and try to find the spot where you can see the sea arch on the right side of the beach. This natural feature adds to the charm of this place and is a must-see for anyone visiting.
There are some picnic benches at Malin Beg, providing visitors with an excellent spot to relax and take in the stunning views. You can bring your own food and drinks, or there's a refreshment stand where you can get tea, coffee, and some treats.
Malin Beg is truly a hidden gem on the Wild Atlantic Way, and it is one of the most remarkable places to visit in Donegal. It's not the easiest place to get to, but it is definitely worth the effort. The incredible views, the beach, the waterfall, and the sea arch all make it a truly unique experience.
Whether you are a local or a visitor to Donegal, a visit to Malin Beg should be on your list of things to do. It is an incredible experience that will leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
Pictures by Elena T.
Tips for Visitors:
- Wear comfortable shoes: Walking down to the beach involves many steps, so it's important to wear comfortable shoes that you can easily walk in.
- Bring a picnic: There are picnic benches with a fantastic view, so bring a picnic and enjoy your meal with a stunning backdrop.
- Be aware of the tide: It's important to be aware of the times when visiting Malin Beg, as the beach can get relatively small at high tide.
- Take your time: Once you're on the beach, take your time and enjoy the incredible views. Don't rush; take a moment to appreciate the beauty around you.
- Explore the nearby cliff: Don't miss the waterfall on the ridge. It's a beautiful spot to take pictures and enjoy the scenery.
- Look for the sea arch: Find where you can see the sea arch on the right side of the beach. It's a hidden gem worth seeking out!
Letterkenny - 88.6 km
Buncrana - 128 km
Bunbeg - 79.5 km
Donegal Town - 58.9 km
Derry - 75.4 ml